Ask someone their number one goal in retirement and invariably it will be travel; see the world, go on that adventure you never had time for…live the dream. But, is that true for everyone?
A recent report came out from AARP on what exactly motivates retirees to travel, and the findings are interesting. As you read this, reflect on what motivates you.
- Baby Boomers expect to take four or five leisure trips next year, spending almost $6,400 on travel expenses―the same or more than they spent in 2017.
- 49% of Baby Boomers say they travel to relax and rejuvenate (up from 38% in 2017), while 47% are looking for a getaway from everyday life (up from 39%).
- About half of retirees only expect to travel domestically, and those traveling internationally mostly choose Latin America/Caribbean or Europe. The domestic travel will be done primarily by plane (66%) or car (60%).
- AirBnB doesn’t seem to be a popular choice since 62% of people plan to stay in a hotel or motel instead of renting a room. However, cruise ship rooms come in second (with 1/3 of international travel being on a cruise).
- Finally, about 57% of Boomers travel to spend time with family and friends, the same amount as last year.
Does this list represent you? If not, what motivates you to travel?
Planning or In Retirement?
Get Your Retirement Readiness Score
Our digital service takes retirement planning beyond finances so you have healthy, happy, and fulfilled retirement. Get started on your retirement plan for Free: Your Retirement Plan.