If you have a blog or newsletter, you probably have an RSS feed, which simply is the blog’s content in a machine-readable format. You probably also have social media accounts, like Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn. With a few simple steps, you can automate the entire process so every time you update your blog a post will go to all your social media accounts.
The RSS Feed
Here is a snippet of our RSS feed.
<description><![CDATA[ <p>How we used Firebase to build Ayrshare</p> <p>The post <a rel="nofollow" href="https://ayrshare.positorgroup.com/our-firebase-tech-stack/">Our Firebase Tech Stack</a> appeared first on <a rel="nofollow" href="https://ayrshare.positorgroup.com">Ayrshare - Automate Your Social Media Posts</a>. </p> ]]></description>
You can see in the example the basic structure of the RSS. The are descriptions, title, and even links. If you want to dive deep, check out the RSS specification.
Most blogs have an RSS feed. If not directly mentioned on the site with an icon, you can try appending /feed or /rss to the site’s url. For example Emily Oster’s Substack blog at https://emilyoster.substack.com/ has an RSS feed at https://emilyoster.substack.com/feed.
Why have an RSS feed?
The format is useful for content aggregators. such as Feedly or or Panda, so you can read all you favorite blogs posts in one place. In fact, RSS formatted data isn’t just useful for blogs. Any content you want consumed by another service, e.g. an app, api, or server, can use an RSS feed.
Automated Social Media Posts
After you write a blog/newsletter post or produce some content, you probably spread the word by posting to your social media account: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. With an RSS feed you can save time by having all your new content automatically posted to the networks like so:
How do you set up an RSS feed to automatically post?
Here is how you auto post from an RSS feed using Ayrshare.
Auto Post Steps:
- Find your RSS feed and copy the URL. If you have a blog, try adding a /feed or /rss at the end. If you can’t find the RSS URL, try our RSS Finder.
- Go to Ayrshare and create a free account. It is free for up to 300 posts a month, so unless you’re a massive blogger, you should be fine.
- You’ll need to setup your social accounts, such Twitter. After signing up you’ll be in the Ayrshare dashboard, click the “Social Accounts”. It only takes a few seconds per network. Here is a quick video if you need help.
- Now let’s add your RSS feed. In the Ayrshare dashboard click the “RSS Feed” tab on the left and enter in your RSS URL.
- Finally, Click “Add RSS” and then your feed will appear.
Now every time you create a new blog post or add content to your RSS feed you’ll automatically post to all of your social networks. You can even add a YouTube RSS feed.
Originally published at: https://www.ayrshare.com/how-to-automatically-post-your-blog-or-newsletter-to-social-media/